About Me

My photo
Brenda R. Coleman is a health coach, nutrition educator and the creator of Sow. Harvest. Share. The mission of Sow. Harvest. Share is to provide nutrition & garden education classes to those that want to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle. Additionally, a portion of locally grown fresh produce will be donated to food pantries/banks located in the City of Alexandria. Ms. Coleman volunteers as a nutrition educator for the Capital Area Food Bank. She is a graduate of Syracuse University and attended the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Ask & You Shall Receive . . .

On April 27th, 2011, I received a call that completely changed everything. I received a 20x20 plot at an apartment complex 5 miles away from my home. My original plans were to plant in containers on my patio and at a Fort Totten, Washington, D.C. via the Garden Education class being held by the Neighborhood Farm Initiative. This space is more than enough to provide fresh produce for myself and the food pantry at The Christ Church. I plan on growing the following at this space: tomatoes, okra, sweet peppers, zucchini and summer squash, lima beans, green beans, collards and cabbage.

I started prepping the space for planting on April 30th. I have to say that I am thankful my parents ignored child labor laws and gender rules and had my sister and I do yard work every Spring & Summer. I knew immediately what needed to be done to this ground. The ground was muddy thanks to the rain we received the week before. So, I was able to clean up 75% of the ground. I wasn't prepared for the physical affect performing yard work after living in an apartment for ten years. Thus, I was not able to complete the space over the weekend. I will be there 1 hour a day during the week (May 3 - May 6th). In addition to putting up fencing to keep out the deer, i want to get seeds and transplants into the ground the weekend of May 7th.

In addition to the plots, I am planting cherry tomatoes, spring onions, and okra on my patio. Why? Well, just in case there is a delay (even a slight delay) with getting the Alexandria plot ready, at least I will have transplants & seeds in the ground today (May 2, 2011) and a harvest to share by mid-June.

No comments:

Post a Comment